The U.S. is set to send more high mobility artillery rocket system (HIMARS) missiles to Ukraine to help Kyiv troops repel the Russian invasion, according to officials, including the Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMLRS)—which is precision-guided and has a range of about 70 kilometers. “The munitions themselves, these GMLRS…are having a very profound effect,” Colin Kahl, the U.S. undersecretary of defense for policy, said in a statement published by the Pentagon on Monday. “This is a 200-pound warhead, it’s kind of the equivalent of an airstrike, frankly—a precision-guided airstrike. These are GPS-guided munitions. They’ve been very effective in hitting things that previously the Ukrainians had difficulty hitting reliably.” According to the Pentagon official, the Ukrainians have already used the HIMARS as part of previous assistance packages in combination with GMLRS rockets to hit Russian command and control nodes, sustainment and logistics hubs, and key radar systems, among others. The U.S.-supplied HIMARS has reached something of a legendary status in Ukraine, helping Kyiv troops fight back Moscow’s troops in the Donbas region. Rockets fired by HIMARS have struck over 30 Russian targets behind enemy lines in Ukraine, according to Ukrainian forces, though the Russian side has not confirmed the numbers…. Read full this story
- Ukraine Fast Facts
- The Pentagon’s Technology Chief Is an Utter F*cking Fool
- Russia deploys nuke bombers to Crimea after Trump rolls out missile systems
- Pentagon to send up-gunned, drone-killing Strykers to Europe to deter Russia
- Saudi Airstrike In Yemen Kills 14 Civilians, Including Children
- Finally some finality, but ISIS lives to fight on
- Service secretaries, chiefs prepared for grilling at Senate hearing on military housing embarrassment
- In Yemen, a race to save a boy from al-Qaida and a US drone
- U.S. launches precision strikes on Syrian chemical facilities
- Standing on the Shoulders of Tyrants
- The Russian Spy Who Wasn't
- Venezuela crisis: Putin's new Cold War on America's doorstep?
- What’s Trump’s Real Beef With U.S. Troops in South Korea? His Friend Kim Wants ‘Em Out.
- It's time for Congress to get serious about border security: your say
U.S. sending Ukraine HIMARS missiles "equivalent of an airstrike": Pentagon have 342 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 9, 2022. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.