A month after his resignation from the Rajya Sabha to contest the West Bengal elections on BJP ticket, Swapan Dasgupta was renominated to the House by President Ramnath Kovind to fill the seat that fell vacant due to his resignation for his remainder term till April next. Mr. Dasgupta lost the Tarkeshwar constituency to his TMC rival, Ramendu Sinharay, by margin of over 7,000 votes. He was forced to resign from the Rajya Sabha ahead of the polls after the TMC forced legal action since a nominated member cannot contest on any party ticket while continuing to hold the post in the House. TMC chief whip in the Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Sekhar Ray told The Hindu, "I do not think it has ever happened in the history of the Rajya Sabha that a person who resigned just a month back is renominated by the President of India. The government is setting a bad precedent here by throwing all parliamentary norms out of the window." Mr. Ray termed it a shameful act. "He was sent to West Bengal, protected as a leader of the BJP. After losing the battle now, he is being rehabilitated by the backdoor. The BJP, it seems,… Read full this story
- No case registered under NSA in Delhi in last 5 years, says Centre in Rajya Sabha
- BJP is instilling hatred in Bengal by communal speeches: TMC
- BJP delegation meets EC, calls for enforcing model code, deploying central forces in West Bengal
- 3 BJP workers arrested for raising 'goli maro...' slogan in Bengal
- Bengal Forest Minister Rajib Banerjee quits Cabinet
- Centre plans PM-driven events; state to hold Didi-led parades
- Police arrest three BJP workers for raising 'goli maro' slogan in West Bengal
- Three BJP activists arrested for raising ‘goli maro...’ slogan in Bengal
- Nobody should feel pain while chanting 'Jai Shri Ram': Sanjay Raut
- Nobody should feel pain while chanting 'Jai Shri Ram': Sanjay Raut on Mamata Banerjee's comment
- All 4 members of SC-appointed panel support farm laws: Who are they?
- Terrorists enjoying 5-star hospitality in Pakistan: S Jaishankar at UNSC
Swapan Dasgupta back in Rajya Sabha; shameful, says TMC have 335 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.