The Nets will have plenty of opportunity to add to their payroll next summer.
They could re-sign Joe Harris. They could use the mid-level exception. They could make a trade.
But even if they do none of those things and simply keep their 12 players with guaranteed salaries and fills their roster with minimum players, the Nets would project to pay the luxury tax. For many teams, this situation would call for cost-cutting.
Apparently not Brooklyn.
Nets general manager Sean Marks, via Malika Andrews of ESPN:
“We’re going to be a tax team,” Marks says. “We are married to that. There’s a limited amount of times and ways you can continue to add to your team. You better do it now. You’re gearing up for a run.”
Good for Nets owner Joseph Tsai. By spending more, he’ll give his team a better chance to win.
Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving took a chance on Brooklyn. This probably has something to do with it. Star players have grown more comfortable using their leverage, including joining teams committed to spending big. Durant and Irving are held to max salaries. Though there are rules to limit how quickly the Nets can add payroll, there’s no hard cap on their total player salaries.
This is also good news for Harris, a sharpshooter who could fetch a lucrative contract in free agency this summer. Getting that deal in Brooklyn is now in play. Even if they don’t re-sign him, the Nets talking like they might will also push other teams to bid more.
- How to Pay Back Taxes Even in Times of Financial Difficulty
- How to Pay Back Taxes Owed to the IRS
- How to File and Pay Old Taxes
- Company Pay Roll Tax - Calculating Your Way Out!
- Tax Protesters - Great News! You Don't Have to Pay Your Taxes
- Pay Less Tax Through Smart Tax Planning
- Tax Obligations and Paying Low Tax
- Paying Your Taxes With Plastic
- What If I Can't Pay My Taxes?
- Why Pay More Taxes Than You Need To?
- The Point of View of the Investor Who Pays For Tax Liens
- Pay Low Taxes With Expert Tax Planning
- IRS Tax Debt - 4 Options When You Can't Pay Your Taxes
- Your Instant Pay Raise - Tax Advantages of a Home Based Business
- How to Effectively Pay Less Tax - Legally!
- Unfair Tax Plan - Should Wealthy Americans Pay More Taxes?
- Fast Investment - Make Money - I Say, You Pay
- Strategies to Avoid Paying Capital Gains Taxes
- Company Payroll Taxes - How To Get Them Paid
- Inheritance Tax in the UK - A Guide