The Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office announced that it dispatched a team of prosecutors and investigators to the Korean National Police Agency in Seodaemun District, western Seoul, on Thursday morning to raid the office of the director-general for ICT management and equipment and look into the police’s email network, internal messenger and computer system for sending official documents.
Prosecutors believe police officers leaked information about the probe into the LKP candidate to the Blue House in 2018 by sending messages to their colleagues who had been temporarily dispatched to work for the presidential office, using the police messenger.
Thursday’s raid was the third time prosecutors raided a police office.
As prosecutors broaden their probe into the election-meddling scandal, Hwang Un-ha, who at the time of the Ulsan police investigation was serving as the Ulsan police chief, wrote on Facebook Thursday that he’s been summoned by prosecutors for questioning.
In October 2017, former Ulsan Mayor for Economic Affairs Song Byung-gi tipped off a Blue House official working in the presidential secretary for civil affairs office about corruption allegations against then-Ulsan Mayor Kim Gi-hyeon and his aides, which was made into a Blue House report to be passed to the Ulsan police.
Back then, Song was a campaign operative for Song Cheol-ho, the current Ulsan mayor who was backed by the ruling Democratic Party (DP) in the election.
Police opened a probe into the suspicions shortly before the June 2018 Ulsan mayoral race, and Kim, who at the time was seeking a second term along with support from the LKP, eventually lost to Song.
A follow-up investigation by prosecutors eventually cleared Kim and his aides of any wrongdoing in March 2019, and prosecutors have since been probing whether the police investigation was intended to sway public opinion in favor of the DP.
BY LEE SUNG-EUN, KIM SU-MIN [[email protected]]
- Malaysian police deny raid on luxury apartments linked to ousted PM Najib Razak
- Erdogan's party loses re-run of Istanbul mayor election
- ‘Dangerous’ vagrant believed behind attack on woman outside police HQ
- Mayor seeks probe into fire at Cotabato City Comelec office
- 'Close fight': Leyte Mayor-elect wins by only one vote
- South Korea police raid Samsung unit in embezzlement probe
- Police on high alert ahead of Taipei mayoral election
- Man nabbed over assault of woman metres from Bangkok police HQ
- Duterte says police chief to maintain post while under probe
- Monaco police question Russian tycoon Rybolovlev in graft probe: Report
- Thousands converge on Hong Kong police HQ in anti-govt demo
- Uganda's popstar MP 'hiding' from police after raid: Lawyer
- Why Toronto council races could be more important than mayoral election
- Jokowi’s son a favorite for Surakarta mayoral election: Survey
- UK police make 7th arrest in Manchester terror probe
- Actor’s family put under police microscope in high-profile money-laundering probe
- Toronto police officers charged with misconduct in internal probe
- Police general to be charged over lottery probe
- How a small error by a pilot caused armed police to raid a JetBlue flight thinking it was being hijacked
- Indonesian police officer totes kiddish bag at election security briefing 'for my daughter'