The Queen’s decision to “reluctantly” let the Duke and Duchess of Sussex step down as senior royals generates plenty of light and heat across the front pages.
Harry and Meghan “got their way” at the Sandringham royal summit, according to the Sun, but the papers says the queen made it plain she is “deeply upset they are quitting”.
“Orf you go … but one is not amused,” is its headline. The paper says the couple will initially stay in Canada “but eventually want to make Los Angeles their home”.
The Daily Express paints the Queen as the hero of the hour with “Gracious Queen grants Harry his wish”. It compares the monarch’s statement over the split to her address to the nation after Princess Diana died.
“Make no mistake, it means Harry and Meghan have won,” it says.
“Go … if you must” is the Daily Mail’s headline. The paper describes the Queen’s statement as “deeply personal” and says she and her closest relatives “would have preferred” Harry and Meghan remain full-time working royals.
The Mirror leads with the headline “Queen to Harry: ‘I want you to stay … but you’re free to go’ ”. Like the Mail, it gives a blow-by-blow description of what the Queen’s statement said, and what it meant: “Peace, but there may still be plenty to play for,” says its royal editor, describing the summit as “one of the most extraordinary days in modern royal history”.
The Guardian says “Harry and Meghan get Queen’s backing”. The paper says the fact that the couple were not referred to in the Queen’s statement using their official titles, instead using their first names, was “highly unusual” and raised questions about whether they will retain their titles.
The Daily Telegraph’s headline is “The Queen’s reluctant farewell”. Inside it describes “How the Queen tried to save the House of Windsor”. It, too, likened the Queen’s statement to the week of Diana’s death, saying there were “echoes” of the Queen’s TV address in 1997.
The Times says “Queen gives Meghan and Harry ‘transition period’ ” as its front page headline. Inside it carries a story titled “William is not a bully, insist brothers in a show of unity”.
- Driving Instructor Says Prince Harry and Meghan Stole His Instagram Handle
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle spotted hiking and relaxing in Canada - report
- Fab Four split began when Prince Harry ‘read William and Kate the riot act’ for ‘not supporting’ Meghan Markle before their Royal wedding, sources claim
- Why Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle is a "game changer"
- Meghan Markle has helped Prince Harry ‘reconnect’ with Prince Charles who she thinks is ‘gentlemanly’, says royal expert
- Revealed: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Christmas e-card showing baby Archie crawling towards camera lens - as the couple ditch paper versions following row over their carbon footprint from plane travel
- Meghan Markle: Prince Harry not the only 'spare' to the heir to choose an unconventional bride
- How Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's 2019 Christmas Card Compares to Past Royal Family Holiday Greetings
- Go West? Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May Move to America
- Prince Harry planned to propose to Meghan Markle in Botswana and NOT Kensington Palace, royal expert claims
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Wedding Will Cost the British Public Millions
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry share adorable new photo of Archie in a bobble hat in sweet New Year’s Eve post
- Here's Why Queen Elizabeth's Annual Christmas Speech Excluded Prince Harry & Meghan Markle
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry share unseen pic of Archie as royals wish Prince Charles a happy 71st birthday
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Night At The Museum Intensifies Engagement Rumors
- Prince Harry: I Proposed to Meghan While Roasting a Chicken
- Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry weren't at church with rest of Royal Family
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Post Instagram Video With Baby Archie and New Year Message
- Royal news: The Queen, Meghan Markle, Prince William, Prince George and Prince Harry
- Prince Harry and Meghan celebrate Archie's first Christmas in luxury Vancouver hideaway along with Doria Ragland as the rest of the Royals spend time together in Sandringham with the Queen