You will need a whole Tunworth or camembert in its thin wooden box. Set the oven at 200C/gas mark 6.
Peel a couple of medium-sized red onions and cut them into about 8 segments and put them in a mixing bowl. Peel 700g of jerusalem artichokes, cut them in half and drop them into a bowl of cold water to which you have added the juice of half a lemon. The acidity will stop them browning.
Scrunch a sheet of kitchen foil tightly around the base and sides of the box holding the cheese, then place in a roasting tin.
Drain the artichokes, add them to the onions and pour in 5 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Remove the needles from 2 sprigs of rosemary and finely chop them, then add to the bowl with 4 sprigs of thyme and toss everything together.
Tip the vegetables around the cheese and bake for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and toasted and the cheese is molten under its crust. Serve the vegetables, spooning the cheese over them. Serves 2.
Check that the box is the sort secured with staples rather than glue. The latter will come open in the oven. Wrapping the base and sides of the box tightly in a layer of kitchen foil helps to secure the cheese and catch any that might ooze from its crust. If the cheese is ready before the rest, then carefully remove it and keep it warm, then put the vegetables in for 10 minutes longer.
Use small, halved potatoes in place of artichokes, but cook them for a little longer. Serve the dish fondue-style, dipping the vegetables into the hot cheese with your fingers.
Follow Nigel on Twitter @NigelSlater
- Nigel Slater’s meat-free Christmas recipes
- Nigel Slater: five ways to use your loaf
- Nigel Slater’s gyoza recipes
- Nigel Slater’s leeks with miso butter
- Tamal Ray’s recipe for an alternative Christmas pudding
- Mary Berry recipes: Amazon have slashed a massive 43% off Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, a perfect Christmas gift for a fan of the Britain’s Best Home Cook judge
- Recipe: Rolled Coffee-Cardamom Ice Cream
- Christmas taste test: cheese and chocolate
- 20 best egg recipes: part 2
- Bright sparks: Yotam Ottolenghi’s winter vegetable recipes
- Mary Berry's salmon en croûte recipe with asparagus
- Christmas Day WITHOUT the food coma! The VERY simple recipe swaps to help you beat the bloat on December 25th
- Five foolproof recipes to get you through Christmas
- Christmas pudding: Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe for chocoflan
- 3 winter recipes to tempt your taste buds
- Gluten-free goat cheese and red pepper pizza
- Christmas breakfast: Yotam Ottolenghi's ricotta and feta pancake recipe
- 20 best egg recipes: part 3
- Summer desserts to cook on the barbecue – recipes
- The Dish: Chef Ivan Orkin shares Japanese recipes