COLOMBO, Oct. 7 (Xinhua) — A record number of 35 candidates have handed in their nominations to contest in Sri Lanka’s presidential elections which will be held on Nov. 16, the Elections Commission announced here Monday.
The handing-in nominations for the polls concluded here Monday at 11:30 a.m. local time, and the Elections Commission said that although 41 candidates had paid their deposit fees to the commission last week, 35 handed in their nominations.
The candidates included Sajith Premadasa who is the presidential candidate of the ruling United National Front, Gotabaya Rajapaksa who is the presidential candidate of the main opposition, the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna, and Anura Kumara Dissanayaka, from the minority Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna.
Sajith Premadasa is the deputy leader of the United National Party, which is the largest party in the ruling United National Front Alliance, while Gotabaya Rajapaksa is the brother of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa and he served as the defense secretary in the previous government.
Elections Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya later met all 35 candidates who handed in their nominations and urged them and their supporters to abide by the election law in order to ensure a free and fair poll.
Sri Lanka’s presidential polls, which will be held next month, is set about two months before the incumbent government’s term ends.
- Will Sri Lanka Elect the Devil It Knows?
- IMF agrees to extend Sri Lanka's $1.5 billion loan by one year
- Sri Lanka Seeks Executioner With ‘Excellent Moral Character’
- Sri Lanka advertising for executioners after plan to reinstate death penalty
- More than 100 people apply for job as HANGMAN in Sri Lanka
- China took over a port in Sri Lanka, so what?
- Sri Lanka, an Island Nation That Is Best Savored Slowly
- Discovering the wonders of Sri Lanka in style and comfort
- Why Lonely Planet was right when it said Sri Lanka is 2019's top spot
- The INCREDIBLE pictures which show Sri Lanka bowler Kamindu Mendis' ridiculous skill
- In Sri Lanka, the new Chinese Silk Road is a disappointment
- South Africa sweeps Sri Lanka 3-0 in T20 series
- De Kock century as South Africa wins series vs Sri Lanka
- Animals of Sri Lanka shoot selfies in tourism documentary
- Sri Lanka is a secret surfer’s paradise
- Sri Lanka begins work on $3.9B refinery near China-run port
- DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr facing parliamentary inquiry over Sri Lanka holidays
- Heritance Tea Factory Sri Lanka Hotel - review
- Unusual alliance in Sri Lanka forged to save blue whales
- Sri Lanka bats 1st in final ODI in SA hoping to avoid 5-0