The board of directors of Aena, Spain’s airport operator, has approved an ambitious new plan to cut carbon emissions and save on its energy bills by generating most of its own power through solar panels by 2026.
The company will invest €250 million on installing solar panels in half of its airports, a move that should also lower its carbon emissions by 40% (167,000 tons) by 2025.
The company plans to install solar panels in 20 out of the 46 airports it has in Spain
Aena currently spends €75 million a year on its energy bills. The new Photovoltaic Plan proposed by the company’s president Maurici Lucena will save an estimated €52 million. It will also make Aena one of the leaders in clean energy production among European airport operators.
There had been an earlier plan, introduced by the previous management team, to purchase clean energy from other providers while self-producing only around five percent of the total. But the new company leaders feel that producing their own energy is a lot cheaper, especially considering that Aena owns vast tracts of empty land located near the airports that could be used for solar panel plants.
Aena currently spends €75 million a year on its energy bills
The company, which is 51% state-owned, now has to decide which airports will get the new facilities first. In addition to Madrid and Barcelona’s airports, the company plans to install solar panels in 20 out of the 46 airports it has in Spain, focusing on the ones with more disposable land and sunlight.
This will also ensure that Madrid and Barcelona’s airports, which account for half of Aena’s emissions, are carbon neutral by 2030. The company also plans to replace all of its passenger vehicles with non-polluting ones by 2025 and to install 2,300 charging stations for electric vehicles in its airport parking lots.
Aena’s solar panel plan is a step forward in the fight against climate change and the decarbonisation of the economy, following the EU’s objective to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. “We have to be aware that to ensure the sustainable growth of air travel and airports in Europe, we have to establish ambitious goals to reduce emissions,” said airport management sources.
English version by Asia London Palomba.
- How to Build Solar Panels - 5 Steps to Saving Big Money With Homemade Solar Panels
- Make a Homemade Solar Panel - Homemade Solar Panels Made Easy
- Building Solar Panels - 7 Great Reasons to Make Your Own Solar Power System
- Installation Instructions For Solar Panels
- Build Solar Panels on Your Home - Solar Panels, Savings You Can Count
- Are Solar Panels an Option For Power Redundancy?
- Build a Homemade Solar Panel With Your Children - A Great Educational Resource
- Will $198 Homemade Solar Panels Really Cut Your Electric Bills by Over 50 Percent?
- How to Build a Solar Panel?
- Residential Solar Power - Module Solar Panel Designs
- Build a Solar Panel the Easy Way
- DIY Solar Panels - 7 Benefits of Building Your Own Solar Panels
- Home Solar Panels - On the Rise
- DIY Solar Panel - Why You Should Build One on Your Own
- Build Your Own Solar Panels
- How to Make Solar Panels - 5 Steps to Saving Big Money With a Homemade Solar Power System
- Cheap Solar Panels - 7 Great Reasons to Build Your Own Solar Panels
- Home Solar Panels - 5 Benefits of Building a Cheap Solar Power System
- Off the Grid Living - Build a Wind Generator, Wind Turbine, Solar Panels & Bio Diesel
- RV Solar Panels