Reporting from Washington — The idea that Google is subtly pushing masses of voters to the left has the ring of conspiracy, and thus the work of Robert Epstein is warmly embraced by conservative lawmakers — as well as a president — convinced big tech is plotting against them.Yet even some scholars who think the San Diego-based psychologist is wrong about the political impact of search engines — he believes bias built into Google’s processes could have cost Republicans three California congressional districts in the last election — have started paying attention to his detailed work on how voters respond to tens of thousands of search results.At a moment when misinformation about search engines and social media bias is rampant, with both the left and the right amplifying unsupported claims, Epstein is asking the right questions, they say, about the unseen power of algorithms and how little most Americans understand about the way they work.Facebook, Twitter and Google have become political footballs for the left and right »The saga of the persistent San Diego psychologist versus the tech giant is a long-running one, full of twists. As Big Data shapes our opinions in ways scholars are only beginning to comprehend, his… Read full this story
- Investors love stocks because there's nowhere else to go
- Donald Trump says QAnon followers 'like me very much and I appreciate it' and that they 'love our country' despite his own FBI labeling conspiracy theory a domestic terror threat
- Melania Trump pleads for an end to 'looting and violence in the name of justice' as she tackles racial division, mourns victims of COVID and backs her husband saying he gives 'total honesty' and 'loves America'
- Facebook tightens screws on QAnon and US militia groups
- The devil and José Mourinho
- All the Things You Can No Longer Buy if You’re a True MAGA Trump Fan
- The India story after 25 years of internet and how it has transformed our lives
- 'He will tear down democracy to win.' Barack Obama flames Donald Trump for narcissism, conspiracy theories, corruption and laziness and calls his presidency a 'reality show for the attention he craves' as he pleads with people to vote for Joe Biden
- 'I'm sorry for the suffering I caused': Rapper finally apologises to Louella Michie's heartbroken family for killing her with a fatal drugs overdose at Bestival as he is jailed for eight-and-a-half years
- EU leaders react to UK's Brexit vote — as it happened
- As the BNP vanishes, do the forces that built it remain?
- EU's Jean-Claude Juncker offers to fast-track post-Brexit talks if UK accepts divorce deal
- The Ashes: Australia v England - day five as it happened
- Claudia And Jackie Oshry Of “The Morning Toast” Have Survived Several Scandals. Some Fans Have Finally Hit Their Breaking Point
- Claudia And Jackie Oshry Of “The Morning Toast” Have Survived Several Scandals. Some Fans Have Finally Hit Their Breaking Point.
- A ‘Maverick,’ Revisited
- National Trust sparks woke row after tweeting about artefacts and buildings linked to slavery and the British Empire - as dozens vow to cancel membership over historical 'virtue signalling'
- My ex put a video of me performing a sex act on Pornhub to millions – why do so many men get away with revenge porn?
San Diego psychologist claims Google search results unfairly steer voters to the left. Conservatives love him have 524 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at March 24, 2019. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.