By Paul Carsten and Alexis Akwagyiram
ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo was safe after his helicopter crash landed in the north central state of Kogi, his spokesman said on Saturday.
Nigerian go to the polls on Feb. 16 to elect a new president in an election where the incumbent Muhammadu Buhari and his deputy have been touring the country to woo voters for a second term in office.
The cause of the accident was not immediately clear. Spokesman Laolu Akande said the vice president was continuing his engagements in Kogi state.
“VP Osinbajo’s Chopper crash lands in Kabba, but he and the entire crew safe,” the spokesman tweeted.
Nigeria’s airlines are plagued by problems – delays, cancellations and fuel shortages that are almost expected from domestic passengers. However, safety records in recent years have improved.
(Writing by Chijioke Ohuocha, Editing by William Maclean)
- Nigerian flag flies in US as Boko Haram survivor, US congresswoman bag degrees
- University of Houston-Katy breaks ground on new campus
- Tinubu and 20 years of unbroken democracy in Nigeria
- Extras: 'Bale has never asked to leave Real'
- White House memo shows Trump pressed Ukraine leader to look into Biden
- South Africa rejects Donald Trump's farm 'seizure' claims
- Joe Biden gets back on the campaign trail in Iowa with new endorser John Kerry after angry confrontation where he called elderly voter a 'damn liar' – though he NEVER called him 'fat' according to his campaign
- Xfinity among four premier partners for NASCAR Cup Series in 2020
- Biden ripped for hitting Iowa trail with Obama alum making $1M-a-year off dairy farmers
- Princess Beatrice reveals she looks for ways to 'be authentic' as she opens up about having 'impostor syndrome' in first public comments since Prince Andrew was sacked by the Queen
- China’s Imports of Iranian Crude Continue Despite Fresh US Sanctions Against Oil Importer – Reports
- Residents line up for opening of long awaited H Mart store anchoring 'Houston's next Asian Town'
- Super Bowl LIII Essential Guide: New England Patriots vs Los Angeles Rams
- Liberia: Charles Taylor’s ex-wife named as VP candidate
- Donald Trump has just HOURS to decide whether to participate in House impeachment process that will start bringing articles against him Monday
- Pelosi: ObamaCare could 'be path to Medicare for All'
- Trump Warms to Idea of a Long Impeachment Show Trial
- Intl court convicts Congo rebel leader known as ‘Terminator’
- Taylor verdict: Implications for international justice
- The EU’s “Green Deal” can’t be business as usual. Tackling the climate crisis must come first ǀ View