Sri Lanka vs England, third Test: live scoreboard Jonny Bairstow laid emphatic claim to England’s problem position at No 3, scoring a wonderful century on an emotionally-charged return to the Test side. Bairstow’s red-faced roar as he reached three figures in the broiling heat of Colombo, bat cast aside and fists pumping the air, was one of the most expressive celebrations in recent memory and spoke volumes about the meaning attached to his battling 110. In terms of the third Test against Sri Lanka, and England’s hopes of a whitewash, it was a vital innings and formed the spine of a promising stumps score of 312 for seven, but for the 29-year-old it meant so much more. An unfortunate ankle injury forced him out of the opener in Galle where a brilliant debut from Ben Foakes, his stand-in as wicketkeeper-batsman, resulted in his unwelcome omission when passed fit in Kandy. With Foakes’ smooth glovework guaranteeing an extended run in the team, Sam Curran’s side strain forced Bairstow to settle for a recall as a specialist batsman in the vexed slot at No 3. Five others have batted there in 2018, with Tom Westley and Gary Ballance also unsuccessfully pitching for… Read full this story
- England Opener Rory Burns Out Of Sri Lanka Tour Due To Ankle Injury
- England opener Rory Burns out of Sri Lanka tour
- Sensational Stokes leads England to stunning World Cup triumph in thrilling super-over win
- Cricket World Cup: Who are they? Meet the England squad who made history
- Who played the better innings, Stokes at Headingley or Perera in Durban?
- I still have a lot to offer Pakistan cricket: Ahmed Shehzad
- Chelsea, Manchester United Cruise, Southampton Stun Leicester In Premier League
- Tom and Viv... and Bertie
Jonny Bairstow answers England's No 3 prayers with superb century as Sri Lanka made to regret wasteful reviews have 283 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at November 23, 2018. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.