Thirteen million motorists have been hit with a 14th consecutive week of fuel price rises.
The average cost of a litre of diesel in the UK has risen to £1.36, according to the latest Government figures.
Prices have increased each week since July 2, representing the longest consecutive streak of rises in more than two years.
Although sales of new diesel cars have fallen in recent months amid concern over emissions, there are still 13 million diesel cars registered for use on UK roads.
Both diesel and petrol prices have spiralled in recent weeks, reaching a four-year high.
Over the past six months the cost of filling up a typical 55-litre family car that runs on petrol or diesel has risen by around £6.
This is linked to oil reaching around 84 US dollars a barrel, compared with 69 US dollars in April.
Recent respite for owners of petrol models appears to be over as the latest weekly data shows the fuel increased by a fraction of 1p per litre to £1.30.
This came after two weeks when price rises were halted due to supermarket price cuts of up to 2p per litre.
Steve Gooding, director of motoring research charity the RAC Foundation, said: “Whilst the drive is on to get people to choose ultra-green vehicles, diesel cars are still on the road in record numbers, and any upward movement in pump prices hits millions of motorists.
“On top of that almost all of the four million vans and half a million lorries in the country run on diesel, and fuel is a major business cost – one that is ultimately reflected in prices on the high street.”
- Petrol Price Rise In Past Six Days Highest In Two Years: Report
- Broadband shock: One million customers set to see a £24 price rise, are YOU impacted?
- Bread price rises 60% overnight as Zimbabweans struggle to keep pace
- Oil prices rise on prospects for US-China trade deal
- Rupee rises to 2-week high on US-China trade talks hopes
- Sale of firecrackers finally picks up despite price rise
- Ed Miliband condemns 'rip-off' energy firms after SSE 8% price rise
- Npower becomes latest major energy supplier to announce price rises
- Raise car fuel prices to fight air pollution, says rightwing thinktank
- Apple fuel cell patent applications envision 'weeks without refueling'
- Ecuador's Moreno announces tax reform after rolling back fuel price hike
- Inflation higher than expected with energy price rise on way
- Oil Prices Rise but Gains Checked Ahead of Inventory Data
- Virgin Media price rises incoming November
- Sky line rental increase: Heads up on March price rise in the small print
- Natural Gas Price Prediction – Prices Rise on Less than Expected Inventory Build
- Oil prices rise amid Saudi tensions, but demand outlook drags
- TalkTalk price rises for older customers coming in November
- As Tomato Prices Rise In Delhi, Centre Asks Mother Dairy To Sell Puree
- Consumer businesses fuel 18% rise in RIL's Q2 profit