NEW DELHI: In an attempt to strengthen its presence on the Sino-India border in Ladakh, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has sought deployment of additional 6,000 personnel along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sector that has witnessed a series of transgressions by the Chinese army. ITBP, which mans the 3,488 km border with China stretching from Ladakh to Arunachal Pradesh, has moved the proposal for deployment of six battalions to plug gaps along the LAC, official sources said today. While the proposal is under Home Ministry’s consideration, the sources said, in-principle approval has been given to the force for raising eight additional battalions (about 8,000 personnel) to enable rest and recuperation of its men after working in harsh weather conditions on the icy frontier. According to official estimates, an average ITBP jawan spends 80 per cent of his tenure in adverse climate and the remaining 20 per cent on guard duties of VVIPs and others. Sources said the force wants to enhance its reserves in the Ladakh sector, above Leh, as it has some of the most challenging frontiers to guard along the 1,597-km border which Jammu and Kashmir shares with the country’s eastern neighbour. At present,… Read full this story
- Is Rupee set to swing wild?
- Democrats zero in on Warren at fourth debate
- Introduction to International Background Screening of Job Candidates
- Acupuncture Schools - What is the Job Outlook For Acupuncturists?
- VIETNAM POLITICAL NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 16
- Connection Between Mind& Body - The Missing Link to Total Health
- Spirituality in Real Time - Part 3
- Brexit snags stall sterling rally, stocks drift lower
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Brexit snags stall sterling rally, stocks drift lower
ITBP seeks more units in Ladakh to check Chinese transgressions have 269 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at July 13, 2018. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.