Of the figure, electricity from 245 solar power systems has been sold to the national electricity grid.
Customers learn about solar panels at a solar energy company in District 1, HCM City. (Source:VNA)
Pham Quoc Bao, Deputy General Director of EVN HCM City, said the city has great potential to develop solar power systems connected to the grid, and that residents and enterprises should promote the use of solar power.
The corporation has targeted a total installed solar power capacity of about 5MWp this year, he said.
According to figures from the Ministry of Industry and Trade, HCM City has the highest level of solar radiation in the country with about 300 sunny days each year.
The average solar radiation is 1,581KWh/m2 per year, equivalent to 4.3KWh/m2 per day, in the city.
The maximum potential of solar power from high-rise apartment buildings and other households could be up to 1,000MWp. This would help ensure power supply in the city, particularly during the dry season.
The corporation has developed incentives to encourage residents and enterprises install solar power systems.
The installation of a 1KWp solar power system on an area of about 8 sq.m costs about 22-30 million VND (966-1,318 USD).
A household only needs an area of 32sq.m to install a 4KWp solar power system instead of paying about 1 million VND (44 USD) per month (excluding tax) for using a monthly average of about 500KWh of electricity.
Solar power sales at the Electricity of Vietnam took effect in October 2017.
Accordingly, all output produced by solar power projects operating before June 30, 2019 will be purchased for 2,086 VND (9.3 US cents) per KWh (excluding VAT) for 20 years.
However, there are still some bottlenecks in purchasing solar power. For example, residents who sell electricity cannot issue value-added tax invoices.
- Solar-panel installer goes into administration, costing 1,000 jobs
- Solar policies, subsidies and other incentives for the installation of solar panels in Goa in 2019
- New solar panel regulation discourages public use
- HCM City to get electric bus rapid transit system
- New rule says on-the-grid solar panel owners must get permission from PLN
- HCM City export processing zones need revamp as FDI drops
- News EU lifts restrictions on solar panels from China
- HCM City reinforces inter-regional connectivity to fuel tourism
- HCM City to study foreign policies on smart cities
- HCM City tops State budget revenue target
- HCM City tourism start-up contest begins
- ACWA plans to make solar panels as part of SoftBank and Saudi fund's US$200 billion project
- Smog continues engulfing HCM City
- HCM City residents complain about stink from waste treatment complex
- HCM City: Sustained growth, confidence boost retail sales
- HCM City targets treating 90% of discharged water
- HCM City proposes switching State holdings in many firms
- HCM City to host two fashion weeks targeting Vietnamese brands
- Solar panel surplus sales from 2021