preventing a stroke is almost entirely in your hands. How so? Before we get to that, let’s first get real with the risks. Did you know that strokes kill almost 130,000 Americans every year? That’s one out of every 20 deaths. If you live in the U.S., the truth is that you’ll have a higher risk of getting a stroke.The average American lifestyle, combined with the standard “American Diet,” is enough to make strokes one of the leading causes of death in this nation.But not every stroke kills: 795,000 Americans suffer from strokes every year and 610,000 of those are first-time strokes.And here’s the good news: up to 80% of strokes are preventable. That means that the decisions you make on a daily basis can lower your risk of having a stroke. May is National Stroke Awareness month, so let’s take a moment to go over the dangers of a stroke, and how you can limit your chances of having one. What you eat plays a big role in your risk of having a stroke, so try your best to make healthy eating decisions over the next month (and going forward, of course). Limiting soda, refined grains, added sugars and… Read full this story
- Migrant crisis will tear apart the European Union — then it will tear apart the UK
- What is sepsis, what is the risk of infection, how do you get it and what are the signs, symptoms and causes? All you need to know
- Motherwell 1 Hamilton 3 – Dougie Imrie, Rakesh Bingham and Greg Docherty give Accies a deserved Lanarkshire derby victory
- Staff at Dorchester leisure centre join fight against heart disease
- 10 top science minds tell what new body part they'd like to have
- COLUMNIST: Diabetes costs the NHS £1.5m an hour!
Stroke Prevention: Entirely in Your Hands? have 292 words, post on www.doctorshealthpress.com at May 11, 2015. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.