10.35pm GMT Summary Here’s a summary of our coverage from today. • Barack Obama gave his first formal televised White House press conference in eight months. He took a tough line with Republicans over the so-called fiscal cliff, as Ewen MacAskill reports. • Also in his press conference, Obama promised to take a lead on tackling the effects of climate change. Our US environment correspondent Suzanne Goldenberg has a report on that here • Obama set up a potential confrontation with Senate Republicans over Susan Rice, the ambassador to the UN who he is believed to favour for secretary of state. It was the one moment of the press conference when Obama appeared to get rattled, describing as “outrageous” the attacks on Rice over her television interviews on the Benghazi attack. If Obama nominates Rice – which must now be more likely – some Republican senators have promised to block the nomination. Chris McGreal reports on that here. • House minority leader Nancy Pelosi said she will stand for the position again. Here’s Emma Keller on that. Updated at 10.36pm GMT 10.05pm GMT Mitt Romney – remember him? – is working through his stages of grief at losing the election campaign, and… Read full this story
- Nancy Pelosi thumbs her nose at Trump by making photo of their fiery Syria confrontation her Twitter cover image after he claimed she suffered a 'meltdown' and stormed out - as Democrats praise her for standing up to the President
- 'I think I was excusing myself from the room,' Nancy Pelosi says of THAT photo Donald Trump tweeted from their fiery White House meeting - and hints she wants the audio leaked next
- POLITICO Playbook: D.C. stays in the fight
- Democrats 2020: What their key issues are
- Republicans rebel over Syria: Lindsey Graham threatens to be Trump's 'worst nightmare' for 'slaughter of Kurds' and House votes overwhelmingly to rebuke president – who slams Kurdish allies as 'no angels' and invites RUSSIA to intervene
- Trump angers Republicans as he tosses grenades into Turkey debate
Obama press conference and Nancy Pelosi announcement – as it happened have 328 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 14, 2012. This is cached page on The Best Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.